CASEL’s comprehensive district framework identifies 10 essential areas of focus for systemic SEL implementation throughout a district. Districts that implemented these components saw improvements in school climate, behavior, attendance, graduation rate and academic achievement.
As awareness spreads about the multiple benefits of social and emotional learning (SEL) for students and staff alike, a growing number of districts are adopting systemic strategies that embed SEL into every aspect of school life. They are building SEL into their strategic plans and budgets. They are using SEL to help school leaders create the kind of positive climates that keep students safe and make learning possible. They are using SEL to inform classroom instruction and strengthen teacher-student relationships. And SEL is driving their collaborations with families and community partners.
Much of the innovative work is happening in our partner districts, large and small, including the 10 large urban school systems that are participating in our multiyear Collaborating Districts Initiative.
CASEL’s comprehensive district framework to systemically implement SEL:
- Communicate SEL as a priority to stakeholders
- Develop a districtwide vision and plan
- Align financial and human resources
- Build expertise and capacity
- Conduct SEL-related resources and needs assessment
- Design and implement professional development programs
- Integrate SEL with district initiatives, such as academic curriculum and equity efforts
- Adopt and implement evidence-based programming
- Develop K–12 SEL standards
- Establish systems of continuous improvement
Webinar: New SEL resources for your school district
Watch this 30 minute webinar for an inside look at the new SEL District Resource Center and learn how our priority setting questionnaire can help you and your district identify areas of focus, and to explore the approaches and artifacts that can inspire your work.
District Resource Center
CASEL’s District Resource Center offers 500+ guidance, tools, and resources for SEL implementation throughout a district.